Some quick notes from today's hackathon about how to get perl5 into a first-class virtual machine for Perl 6, by gradually introducing CPAN modules that are useful by themselves, even without the surface Perl 6 syntax. Names in parens are #perl6 people who work on this:
- Unified Perl 6 AST, covering all of P6 as specified (audreyt, gaal)
- Emitter from #1 into Perl 5 (fglock, nothingmuch)
- Perl 6 grammar that parses Perl 6 with MiniPerl6 inside rules to create ASTs (scw)
- A bridge from Perl 6 calling conventions to Perl 5 subroutines (clkao)
- A bridge between the Perl 6 object model to Perl 5 objects as well as native Perl 5 values (stevan)
- Installation and co-existence of perl5:DBI and perl6:DBI (robkinyon)
More on those items later...